Loading... Background job is running.
Software Engineer (PHP) (all genders welcome)
Join us at Packagist Conductors, the company behind the package manager Composer which revolutionized PHP development. Help us build high quality tools which PHP developers around the world count on every day. As a Software Engineer (PHP) (all genders welcome) in our small team you will have a great impact on our products and customers. The scope of our work and our tech stack provide many challenges to advance your technical career in our experienced team. As the maintainers of Composer and Packagist, we encourage open-source contributions as part of your work.
We are looking to hire a Software Engineer (PHP) (all genders welcome) in Berlin with the option to work partially remotely (at least one presence day per week). You must already live in or near Berlin or be willing to move there. If necessary, you need to already have an appropriate visa. We welcome both part-time and full-time applications.
- have at least 2 years of experience as a Software Engineer
- have experience with PHP and Composer, preferably PHP7
- are motivated, self organized and eager to learn and improve
- are able to learn about new technologies without close guidance
- are familiar with concepts of object oriented programming and design patterns
- enjoy analyzing complex systems and debugging complex customer problems
- speak and write English fluently
- have patience with and empathy for customers
- have worked with relational databases, e.g. PostgreSQL or MySQL
- have worked on Linux systems before
We'll consider it a bonus if you
- have worked with Symfony Framework
- have worked with Docker or Salt
- have experience working with and configuring CI/CD pipelines
- have worked with queueing systems, e.g. RabbitMQ, SQS, Kafka
- have worked with third party APIs, e.g. REST, GraphQL, XMLrpc
- have experience with Git
- have used HTML/CSS
The job will consist of
- tackling problems facing other developers on a daily basis and providing tools to make their jobs easier
- maintaining, building features for and improving functionality and performance of Private Packagist
- supporting our customers through e-mail and Intercom chat, a requirement for every engineer at Packagist Conductors
- getting outside your (technical) comfort zone: helping with frontend work, infrastructure projects or even with sales questions
- contributing to open-source when useful or necessary for your work, and when assigned to tasks involving open-source projects we maintain
- are a small company and work remotely most of the time using Slack, Trello, Bitbucket, and GitHub to communicate
- care about testing and CI, make use of phpstan, and have plans to implement CD
- have a DevOps culture, we all share responsibility for building, maintaining and operating our product
- use these tools in our stack: PHP, Symfony, PostgreSQL, Redis, Nginx, AWS, Salt, TypeScript, Sass, Foundation, and for on-premises products: Docker and Kubernetes
- maintain key open source tools and services for the PHP community: Composer, Packagist
- value respect, tolerance, openness and aim to accommodate one another. Diversity, equitability, empathy and inclusion for everyone is one of our top priorities. We never tolerate discrimination on national or social origin, the basis of race, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability.
- value reasonable work hours and sufficient time off to maintain a healthy life
- prioritize our customer needs and communicate with them proactively
- have high standards for quality and user experience (e.g. we consider "Unknown Error" to be an unacceptable way to communicate a problem to a customer)
What do you get?
- Pay in the top 25% of salaries for your role and experience in other small businesses in Berlin, between €48,000 and €62,000
- 30 days vacation
- flexible working hours
- partially remote (at least one presence day per week)
- work on challenging projects for a wide variety of customers
- lots of influence and control, we expect you to provide ideas, take ownership and run with them
- personal development/education budget for conferences, books, workshops, video classes
If this job sounds interesting to you, please send a letter of motivation, your CV and your earliest possible starting date to email@example.com.